Greece (Brussels Morning Newspaper) – Are you fond of drone flying? Do you like to take interesting pictures and keep them in your collection? If you are planning a trip to Greece anytime soon you must know about the rules for drone flying. It is legal to fly a drone in Greece but you have to follow the rules fixed by the aviation authority. Greece is a part of the European Union and this is why they have some regulations set for drone flyers. However, Greece has also put some restrictions that are country specific. Here is what you need to know.
General Rules Of Flying A Drone In Greece
If you are planning to fly a drone in Greece you have to follow the rules set by the Aviation industry. Here are some most important things that you need to know:
- The drone flyer must complete an application for every drone flight you plan to conduct any time soon
- You can find the application on the official website of aviation. Once your application is approved by HCCA it is necessary to verify your identity
- The travelers are asked not only to verify their identity but their flight plans with the police department locally
- Users are allowed to fly a drone up to 120 meters above the ground
- All commercial pilots must obtain permission for necessary operations. You can find more information on the official website of HCAA
- Pilots cannot fly a drone at night
- You must have drone insurance before flying a drone for commercial purposes. For this, you must understand both the ‘specific’ and ‘certified’ category
- Drone operators who fly for entertainment and recreational purposes don’t need any insurance. However, if your drone weighs more than 4kg and falls into ‘open-A2’ category, you may need insurance
- Your drone shouldn’t weigh more than 25kg (55pounds)
- It is not allowed to fly a drone in crowded areas. Moreover, you cannot fly a drone over prisons, hospitals, Government and military facilities
- You cannot fly a drone over someone’s private property without the permission of their owner
Can You Fly A Drone In The Open Category?
You can fly a drone in the open category in the following ways:
- It is allowed to fly a drone in the open category it has class identification labels including 0,1,2,3 and 4
- Make sure that you purchased your drone before January 1st, 2023
- The drone has a maximum take-off mass lesser than 25 kg (55lbs)
- The pilot should know how to keep a safe distance away from people
- You cannot fly a drone directly among people unless it features a class identification label
- Your drone must be lighter than 250g (0.55lbs)
- The remote pilot has to maintain a visual line of sight (VLOS). If this is not the case, the pilot must be assisted by the UA observer
- Drone pilot cannot fly a drone over 120m (400 feet)
- You cannot carry any dangerous goods in the drone as they may drop down on people
What Are The Rules Of Flying A Drone In a Certified & Specific Category?
Here are the general rules for flying a drone in the following categories:
1. Specific Category
The drone flyer has to take authorization in the specific category before flying. In this category the amount of risk involved is moderate. Usually, permission is granted by the authorities considering the operational risk assessment. In some scenarios, they may not grant sufficient permission though.
2. Certified Category
There is a big amount of danger involved in this category. The certification of the drone will be thoroughly checked while the remote pilot is inquired too. If the authorities don’t feel secure you may not get permission to fly a drone. When the drone is big or capable of carrying people, you will fall under the certified category.
Read More: Must-Known Drone laws in Germany (in 2023)
Can You Fly A Drone Over Archaeological Sights?
If you are planning a trip to Greece it is best to visit Athens. Most probably you will take a drone to capture all the scenic views. Unfortunately, you are not allowed to go on a flight over the Acropolis. You cannot fly a drone over any of the archeological sites without the permission of the Cultural Ministry.
If you take permission for the Ministry they will ask you to pay around 500 EURO for shooting over the Acropolis. Many people are not willing to pay this much price for drone flying. Some drone flyers are ready to pay this much amount and they can fly the drone following the necessary rules.