Cyprus (Brussels Morning Newspaper) – Cyprus’s national aviation authority and the Cyprus Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) have stated that flying a drone is legal in Cyprus. However, it is important to be aware of some rules that are set by the government. You must comply with the drone regulations while flying the drone in Cyprus.
Rules For Flying a Drone Within the European Union
Cyprus is a part of the European Union. Therefore, it is important to abide by the drone regulations if you want to fly a drone without any problems. You must follow the rules that are put in place by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA). In addition to these rules and regulations, Cyprus also has set some country-specific regulations.
According to the rules and interpretation of the laws, you must follow these important rules for flying a drone within the European Union.
Rules For Operating Drone In Open In The European Union
There are three operational categories that you must determine to fly a drone successfully. These drone regulations are based on the weight of the drone and the intent behind operating the drone. This section will be covering the Open Category.
- You can operate a drone in the “Open “category if:
- The drone is equipped with the class identification labels 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4.
- The drone has been purchased on 1 January 2022 and doesn’t have any class identification label as above.
- The drone comes with a maximum take-off mass of less than 25 kg (55 lbs).
- The remote pilot must keep the drone at a safe distance as it should be kept away from people.
- The drone must not be operated directly over people. Unless it is a class identification label or the drone is lighter than 250 g (0.55 lbs) you are not allowed to operate it over people. You can refer to subcategories of operations: A1, A2, and A3 to find out where to fly your drone.
- The remote pilot must maintain the visual line of sight (VLOS). It is a must for the remote pilot to be assisted by a UA observer.
- The remote pilot must not operate the drone above 120m (400ft).
- Your drone must not carry any dangerous goods and must not drop any material.
Rules For Flying A Drone In Cyprus
If you want to fly a drone in Cyprus, you must follow these rules.
- You are not allowed to fly a drone closer to residential areas. Moreover, the drone flyer must prevent using the drone in a crowded area
- The drone must be kept 1 km away from the residential areas. It is to protect the privacy and safety of people
- Your drone has to stay 500 meters away from the isolated building, people, and vehicles. The animals and structures shouldn’t be harmed. If you are flying a drone near a residential area, taking permission from the owner is highly important
- Don’t fly a drone closer to the airport or helicopters. The safety distance must be at least 8km away from airports. Moreover, the drone must remain three km away from helicopters
- Drone flyers are not allowed to fly a drone at night
- The drone cannot fly above, within, or close to military installations. While the utility installations and archeological sites must remain safe from a drone. Whether it is a public or private sector, you must be careful and keep the drone away
How High Can You Fly A Drone In Cyprus?
The open-category drones can fly up to 50 meters above the ground and sea level. If you have a special category drone, flying it up to 120 meters above the ground and sea will be acceptable. There can be some exceptions though depending on the type of drone used. You are not allowed to drop any object from the drone as it is considered illegal.
Do You Need A Permit For Recreational Drone Use In Cyprus?
A drone permit is required for recreational and commercial use. You will be allowed to purchase a drone in Cyprus only if you follow the right rules of flying. It is legal to fly a drone in Cyprus but you need to have permission for bringing something heavier than 25 kg.
You will have to register especially if it is B or C. For a more advanced type D, you need special permission from the department. If your drone is registered you can fly it without any restrictions. However, following the rules of flying is the most important thing to do.