Middle East conflict hitting travel industry hard

Martin Banks

The war in the Middle East may seen a long way away for some but its ripple effects are already being felt far and wide.

This includes people who are travelling both within and outside Europe.

It  is  estimated that at least 20,000 flights in and out of the Middle East have been cancelled since the U.S.-Israeli attacks on Iran.

More than a million of people were affected by cancellations and airspace closures.

More than a million people around the world were stranded because of airspace closures that have grounded over 20,000 flights since Saturday.

The BBC reports that there have also been attacks on airports and civilian areas, especially in the economic and tourist hubs of Dubai and Abu Dhabi   in United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Doha in Qatar.

The Dubai Airport, the busiest in the world for international travel, was damaged by drone debris in the counter-strikes.

The US, UK, Canada and Australia are all advising against all but essential travel to the UAE right now.

Emirates, one of the many airlines affected by the conflict, the most serious this year, has confirmed that it is currently operating a reduced flight schedule until further notice.

This follows the partial re-opening of regional airspace for the safe conduct of commercial flights.

For 5 and 6 March, over 100 flights will depart from Dubai and return. These flights will carry people eager to reach their final destinations, as well as essential cargo like perishables and pharmaceuticals.

 Emirates says it will continue to gradually build back its flying schedule, subject to airspace availability and all operational requirements being met.

A spokesman told this website on Thursday: “Safety is always our top priority.

“We continue to monitor the situation and adapt our operations accordingly.”

 For now, the airline says that its customers should only proceed to the airport if they have a confirmed booking.

The spokesman added, “We urge all customers to check emirates.com  and our official social media channels, where we will publish the latest updates.”

About Us

Brussels Morning is a daily online newspaper based in Belgium. BM publishes unique and independent coverage on international and European affairs. With a Europe-wide perspective, BM covers policies and politics of the EU, significant Member State developments, and looks at the international agenda with a European perspective.
Share This Article
Martin Banks is an experienced British-born journalist who has been covering the EU beat (and much else besides) in Brussels since 2001. Previously, he had worked for many years in regional journalism in the UK and freelanced for national titles. He has a keen interest in foreign affairs and has closely followed the workings of the European Parliament and MEPs in particular for some years.
The Brussels Morning Newspaper Logo

Subscribe for Latest Updates