Schlüchtern, Germany, 23 August (Brussels Morning Newspaper) – Police in Hesse are investigating an A66 wedding convoy after motorists reported that several vehicles travelled slowly across both lanes of the motorway near Schlüchtern, temporarily affecting traffic heading towards Fulda.
The incident happened at around 2.45pm on Thursday, 20 August. Several motorists contacted police about the procession, prompting officers to send patrols to the motorway.
Police later stopped the vehicles at the Schlüchtern-Nord junction. Officers established that the group was travelling together as part of a wedding celebration. No collision or injuries were reported.
Police examine reports of slow-moving convoy
According to police information reported by local media, witnesses said the vehicles occupied both lanes while travelling at a reduced speed, leaving other motorists unable to pass normally.
The procession reportedly included several vehicles, including a Land Rover and a Mercedes. A camera team was also said to have been travelling with the group.
After stopping the procession, officers recorded details of the drivers and vehicles and spoke to those involved about their conduct.
The Police Motorway Station for South-East Hesse subsequently opened an investigation into whether the reported driving could amount to coercion in road traffic.
No determination of wrongdoing has been made, and the motorists involved have not been publicly identified.
Police seek accounts from affected motorists
Police spokeswoman Claudia Benneckenstein said officers had received several reports concerning the way the vehicles were travelling.
According to the accounts provided to police, the convoy occupied both lanes and moved at low speed, requiring other road users to slow down.
Investigators are now looking for motorists who witnessed the A66 wedding convoy, particularly anyone who believes they were obstructed or placed at risk.
Their accounts could help officers establish more precisely what happened before the procession was stopped.
Wedding processions remain subject to traffic rules
Travelling together to or from a wedding is not in itself unusual, and wedding convoys are seen on German roads.
However, drivers taking part remain subject to normal traffic laws. Police can intervene where the manner in which vehicles are being driven interferes with other road users or raises potential road safety concerns.
The investigation near Schlüchtern is focused on the reported driving behaviour rather than the wedding celebration.
A separate wedding procession was investigated around Mainz earlier in August after vehicles were reported on the A643 and A60. That case is unrelated to the Schlüchtern incident.
Why the investigation matters
For police, the central question is whether other motorists were deliberately prevented from using the motorway normally.
Investigators can consider witness statements alongside information gathered when the vehicles were stopped. The absence of a reported collision does not prevent police from examining whether a traffic offence may have occurred.
At this stage, the inquiry remains an investigation into allegations rather than a finding against any individual.
What happens next?
South-East Hesse motorway police will continue gathering evidence concerning the A66 wedding convoy before deciding whether the case should progress further.
Police have appealed for relevant witnesses to come forward, including motorists who were affected by the procession.
Any further action will depend on the evidence collected and the authorities’ assessment of whether the reported conduct meets the legal requirements for an offence.