Manila, Philippines, 18 August (Brussles Morning Newspaper) The Philippines has played down concerns that Washington’s growing military commitments in the Middle East could weaken its security presence in Asia, saying Philippines-US defence ties and planned joint military activities remain unaffected by the redeployment of American forces.
The reassurance comes after the United States moved military assets from the Pacific towards the Middle East, including the USS George Washington, the aircraft carrier normally forward-deployed in Japan. Its departure has temporarily left the US without a carrier in the western Pacific at a time when Washington is facing competing security demands across several regions.
Manila expects military exercises to continue
Philippine military spokesperson Rear Admiral Roy Vincent Trinidad said Manila had received no indication that its extensive programme of exercises and other defence activities with the United States would be reduced.
“We do not foresee any dip or any slowing down in our activities,” Trinidad said, according to Reuters.
The two militaries hold dozens of exercises, training programmes and other engagements each year. Plans for another substantial programme of bilateral activities have already been agreed for the coming year.
That cooperation has become increasingly important to Manila as it strengthens its armed forces and responds to continuing maritime tensions with China in the South China Sea.
US commitment remains ‘ironclad’, military says
Trinidad also stressed that the movement of individual US assets should not be interpreted as a change in Washington’s obligations towards the Philippines.
“The defence commitment between the U.S. and the Philippines is ironclad,” he said.
The comments are particularly significant because Washington has taken a different approach towards another long-standing Asian ally.
President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon on Sunday to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, citing both their cost and Seoul’s refusal to participate in US actions against Iran.
No equivalent reduction has been announced for exercises involving the Philippines, and officials in Manila are signalling that existing plans remain on course.
Washington seeks to reassure Indo-Pacific allies
Questions over America’s regional military posture have grown as Washington directs more resources towards the Middle East.
The issue has become more pressing amid renewed tensions involving Iran. A temporary US-Iran ceasefire expired this week as Tehran warned it could move to a “fully offensive” posture if diplomatic efforts failed.
Against that backdrop, US defence official Elbridge Colby visited Manila last week and reaffirmed Washington’s focus on the Indo-Pacific. Reuters reported that Colby stressed the importance of maintaining a favourable balance of power in the region.
For Philippine officials, those assurances matter because the alliance with Washington sits at the centre of the country’s external defence strategy.
Why the alliance matters to Manila
The United States and the Philippines have been formal defence allies since signing their Mutual Defense Treaty in 1951.
Their military relationship has expanded well beyond the treaty itself, encompassing joint exercises, training, information-sharing and arrangements that allow American forces access to agreed Philippine military sites.
The partnership has taken on greater strategic weight as Manila and Beijing remain at odds over competing claims and maritime activity in the South China Sea.
Against that background, any prolonged reduction in American military capacity in the western Pacific would inevitably attract scrutiny in the Philippines. Manila’s message, however, is that the current redeployment does not amount to a retreat from the region.
For the Philippine government, the more immediate measure of Washington’s commitment will be whether exercises, operational planning and other agreed programmes continue as scheduled.
Joint defence plans remain on course
For now, Philippine officials say they expect that cooperation to continue.
The US decision to move forces towards the Middle East has changed where some American military power is positioned, but Manila has not reported any corresponding change to bilateral defence arrangements.
The durability of Philippines-US defence ties will remain closely watched as Washington balances the demands of the Middle East with its strategic commitments in Asia.
Unless those plans change, the two allies are expected to proceed with their extensive programme of exercises and military cooperation, leaving Manila’s public assessment unchanged: the Middle East redeployment has not weakened its defence relationship with Washington.