Max Verstappen Reflects on Disappointing Dutch GP Weekend in Zandvoort

Sarhan Basem

Zandvoort, Netherlands, 23 August (Brussels Morning Newspaper) – Max Verstappen said his home Formula One weekend had been disappointing after an opening-lap accident ended his Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort. The Red Bull driver was unhurt, but the early retirement brought the Verstappen Dutch GP weekend to a premature close after he had struggled for pace across the event.

Verstappen started seventh and made it through most of the opening lap before losing control at the banked final corner. His Red Bull hit the barrier and came to rest on the circuit, with debris prompting officials to stop the race.

The 28-year-old climbed out of the car unaided and confirmed over the radio that he was OK. The race was restarted after the circuit had been cleared.

Verstappen reflects on opening-lap retirement

Conditions had been difficult after rain before the start, leaving parts of the Zandvoort circuit slippery despite drivers beginning the Grand Prix on dry-weather tyres.

Verstappen’s accident came at the end of a weekend in which he had already acknowledged limitations with the Red Bull. He finished sixth in Saturday’s Sprint before qualifying seventh for Sunday’s Grand Prix.

After qualifying, Verstappen said he did not feel he had “left anything on the table”, suggesting seventh was a fair reflection of the performance available from the car.

His race ended before he had an opportunity to see whether Red Bull could make progress over the full Grand Prix distance.

Red Bull pace left Verstappen disappointed

Speaking after Sunday’s retirement, Verstappen kept his assessment straightforward.

“This weekend, of course, [was] disappointing,” he said, adding that the team’s pace and the way his race ended had both contributed to that view.

The Verstappen Dutch GP result was a notable contrast with his previous record at Zandvoort. Since Formula One returned to the circuit in 2021, he had finished on the podium at every Dutch Grand Prix before Sunday’s retirement.

He won three consecutive races at the circuit from 2021 to 2023 and finished second in both 2024 and 2025.

Zandvoort hosts its final scheduled F1 race

Sunday’s race also marked the end of Zandvoort’s current spell on the Formula One calendar.

The Dutch Grand Prix returned in 2021 after a 36-year absence. Organisers subsequently decided that the 2026 event would be the last under the existing arrangement, bringing the modern run of the race to a close.

Verstappen’s success and the strong support he received from Dutch fans became closely associated with the event during those six seasons.

Lando Norris won the final race, while Mercedes drivers Kimi Antonelli and George Russell finished second and third respectively.

What the result means for Verstappen

The retirement leaves Red Bull with more work to do after a weekend in which Verstappen was unable to challenge the leading Mercedes, McLaren and Ferrari cars consistently.

Rather than pointing to one issue alone, his comments across the weekend highlighted the balance and performance limitations he experienced with the car.

For Verstappen, the Verstappen Dutch GP weekend therefore ends without the result he wanted in front of his home supporters, but with a record at Zandvoort that includes three victories during the circuit’s latest Formula One era.

Red Bull moves on from Zandvoort

With the Dutch Grand Prix completed, Red Bull will turn its attention to the remaining rounds of the 2026 Formula One season.

There is currently no Dutch Grand Prix on the next Formula One calendar, meaning Sunday’s race was Verstappen’s final scheduled home appearance at Zandvoort.

The team’s immediate task will be to assess the car’s performance over the weekend and prepare for the next championship round.

About Us

Brussels Morning is a daily online newspaper based in Belgium. BM publishes unique and independent coverage on international and European affairs. With a Europe-wide perspective, BM covers policies and politics of the EU, significant Member State developments, and looks at the international agenda with a European perspective.
Share This Article
Follow:
Sarhan Basem is Brussels Morning's Senior Correspondent to the European Parliament. With a Bachelor's degree in English Literature, Sarhan brings a unique blend of linguistic finesse and analytical prowess to his reporting. Specializing in foreign affairs, human rights, civil liberties, and security issues, he delves deep into the intricacies of global politics to provide insightful commentary and in-depth coverage. Beyond the world of journalism, Sarhan is an avid traveler, exploring new cultures and cuisines, and enjoys unwinding with a good book or indulging in outdoor adventures whenever possible.
The Brussels Morning Newspaper Logo

Subscribe for Latest Updates