UK & US

Girl, 19, suffers third-degree burns in fireball as she soaked off acrylic nails

author image

A woman suffered third-degree burns to her arms and hands in a freak accident whilst soaking her acrylic nails.

Maya Edwards, 19, was soaking her nails in a bowl of acetone on Sunday night, when it suddenly went up in flames.

After removing her talons, a nearby candle that Maya had lit earlier mixed with the toxic chemical fumes, setting the bowl alight.

- Picture of the burns Maya Edwards received from her nail polish caught fire TRIANGLE NEWS 0203 176 5587 // contact@trianglenews.co.uk By Niamh Cavanagh A woman is warning others to be careful when using chemicals for acrylic nails, after suffering third degree burns when an open flame reacted with the beauty chemical. Maya Edwards, 19, was soaking her acrylic nails in a bowl of acetone on Sunday evening at 7pm when the freak accident happened. She had thankfully taken her nails out of the bowl when the flames from the candle at the end of the table mixed with the fumes from the toxic chemical and set fire to the bowl. *Full copy available via the wires/Triangle News*

Maya Edwards, 19, was soaking her nails in a bowl of acetone on Sunday night, when it suddenly went up in flames (Picture: Triangle News)

In a desperate attempt to stop the blaze spreading, Maya sprinted to the bathroom holding the bowl and threw it into the bath.

But in a stroke of bad luck, the 19-year-old accidentally set the shower curtain on fire and suffered third degree burns in the horrific incident on Sunday night.

Really simple guide to giving up palm oil Picture: Iceland METROGRABBanning Iceland's palm oil advert censors the truth of what we're doing to the rainforest

Her screams caused her mother Jules Keeling, 45, to run in and see what was going on.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Jules, who works in the Breast Care Centre in Glenfield Hospital, Leicester, rushed her daughter to Leicester Royal Infirmary Hospital immediately.

Now Maya, of Glenfield, Leicester, who works as an admin in an accountancy firm, will be receiving a series of skin grafts on her hands and up her arms later this week.

- Picture of Maya Edwards TRIANGLE NEWS 0203 176 5587 // contact@trianglenews.co.uk By Niamh Cavanagh A woman is warning others to be careful when using chemicals for acrylic nails, after suffering third degree burns when an open flame reacted with the beauty chemical. Maya Edwards, 19, was soaking her acrylic nails in a bowl of acetone on Sunday evening at 7pm when the freak accident happened. She had thankfully taken her nails out of the bowl when the flames from the candle at the end of the table mixed with the fumes from the toxic chemical and set fire to the bowl. *Full copy available via the wires/Triangle News*

The 19-year-old accidentally set the shower curtain on fire and suffered third degree burns in the horrific incident on Sunday night (Picture: Triangle News)

- Picture of the burns Maya Edwards received from her nail polish caught fire TRIANGLE NEWS 0203 176 5587 // contact@trianglenews.co.uk By Niamh Cavanagh A woman is warning others to be careful when using chemicals for acrylic nails, after suffering third degree burns when an open flame reacted with the beauty chemical. Maya Edwards, 19, was soaking her acrylic nails in a bowl of acetone on Sunday evening at 7pm when the freak accident happened. She had thankfully taken her nails out of the bowl when the flames from the candle at the end of the table mixed with the fumes from the toxic chemical and set fire to the bowl. *Full copy available via the wires/Triangle News*

In a desperate attempt to stop the blaze spreading, Maya sprinted to the bathroom holding the bowl and threw it into the bath (Picture: Triangle News)

Acetone is a flammable chemical and is a component of many shop nail polish removers.

She said: I am in constant pain. I am lucky to not have burns covering my face and lucky to not have burnt our home down.

thumbnail for post ID 8122632Man who fled court after being found guilty of raping girl, 16, given longer sentence

Maya has now shared photographs of her burns on Facebook in order to warn other women about using the chemical commonly used in nail treatments.

I want to raise the awareness of just how dangerous acetone, that we soak our acrylics off with, in the same room as a candle can be the caption read.

She said: Honestly be careful, yes it says flammable – but you dont realise just how flammable it can be, even just from fumes mixing with the heat.

The bottle does warn you that it is flammable but never did I expect this outcome.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Related Posts